Culture and stuff

Tuesday, February 15, 2011


Maybe it's the lingering effect of all the insanely beautiful art we were exposed to on our trip to Rome. Maybe it's just because it's free and we're skint (actually, blame that on Rome too). For whatever reason, the Hubster and I decided to go for a highly out-of-character wander around the National Gallery of Scotland on Saturday afternoon. It's not exactly the Sistine Chapel, but there are some quite nice bits and bobs in there.


My favourites, big shocker, were in the Impressionist room (I know, I'm so original). But there is something about the way these paintings evoke the spirit, rather than the detail, of the scenes they portray; they speak to my soul in a way the meticulously rendered frescoes of the Vatican simply didn't.

When I was in high school, my mum and I went on a trip to Paris. It was my first visit to the French capital and the beginning of a lifelong affaire de cœur with the city (I think that might be where the Louboutin thing originated too, actually). I will always remember the awe I experienced in the Musée d'Orsay, seeing a Monet for the first time in REAL LIFE. It was awesome. Literally.


It's so easy to forget that such treasures are kept not only in Paris or Rome, but also in that big stone building that I pass by on the bus every morning.

If you live near a gallery or museum and haven't been in for a while (or, um, ever), I urge you to go and be a tourist for a day. It was a lovely way to fritter away an afternoon, with the added bonus of not having to spend €10 on a diet Coke afterwards. Which is nice.


All images from the National Gallery of Scotland's online collection.

0 boats moored

Blog Archive