Full disclosure

Monday, March 28, 2011


If you have ever bothered to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page and read this blog's small print (no, I haven't either), you will know that I have an Amazon Associates account. I set it up after I linked to a few bits and pieces on Amazon that I thought were cool and then discovered that you can actually get Amazon to give you money for doing that. Ker-ching!

I have read quite a bit about blogging ethics because, although this is a teeny tiny blog, I still want to be respectful to other bloggers and above all to you, the crazy lovely people who for some reason have kindly volunteered to listen to my ramblings. From everything I've read, the position on advertising, sponsorship, in fact any kind of money you make from your blog, seems to be quite clear: transparency is key.

So, in the interest of full disclosure, I have to tell you that I made my first ever money from the blog last week. I have officially Sold Out. Oh, the shame! 

Here's how it happened. Someone clicked on an Amazon link that I put up on the blog. They then went a step further and actually bought whatever it was (I was really hoping someone had bought Knit Your Own Royal Wedding, but alas, not yet). Finally, in return for promoting their products, sending them traffic and ultimately making them some cold hard cash, Amazon have paid me a grand total of.... 27p.

Yeah, you heard me. 27p.

Don't worry, I'll try not to let it go to my head.


P.S. If anyone has any suggestions on what you can actually buy for 27p, since even a Creme Egg seems to cost about £2.50 these days, please do let me know.


Image: How About Orange. In a similar vein, check out Clare's Russian Ruble origami hearts - so cute!

5 boats moored

  1. Freddos have defied inflation and are still 10p, so you could get both a caramel one AND a plain chocolate one, mmm... Or a second class stamp?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pfft, it's not selling out unless you feel like you're compromising yourself in some way. Nothing wrong with wanting to make a buck...or 27p.

    I have no idea what you could buy with that 27p, but caramel & chocolate sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristy - you're absolutely right. I would never promote Knit Your Own Royal Wedding if I didn't truly believe it was a revolutionary product that every household should own. My integrity remains intact. Thank you.

    Postcards - yes! Two Freddos! Or a Freddo and a Taz (do they still do them?) I would even have 7p left over to start a savings account. Genius.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erm... Freddos are 17p now. So you could get *one*. ;)

    (Mmm, Freddos.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 27p is better than nothing and a start at least; I had always wondered how successful those things would be!

    I would have bought 27 1p sweets, if you can even still get them!

    ReplyDelete